Welcome

I arrange hymns on the piano in my spare time. These songs are completely free and are here for you. The only thing I get out of doing this is the hope that other people will enjoy it. As I am LDS (aka mormon), a number of my arrangements are specific to my faith. However, I also have a number of arrangements of other traditional hymns that are common among most Christian denominations. If you like what you find here, please share this website with your friends. Also, please leave comments. It's the only way I know if you enjoy it or not.

DOWNLOAD MY HYMN ARRANGEMENTS BELOW FOR FREE

Amazing Grace



This arrangement of Amazing Grace is for a solo vocalist with a piano accompaniment. The video was recorded on a phone in my living room and is not meant to be professional level recording (the piano doesn't come through very well), but it should be sufficient to give you a feel for what the arrangement sounds like. I created this arrangement to be sung by my daughter at my grandfathers funeral (pictured in the video). This song was among his favorites. 

The words to Amazing Grace were written by John Newton in 1772. Newton was raised by parents that were both Christian (his father a catholic and his mother a "non-conformist" Christian), yet much of his youth was spent defying religion in both word and deed. He spent much of his young adulthood as a sailor engaged in the slave trade. However, after multiple near death experiences, slowly, Newton began to embrace Christianity and eventually was ordained to the ministry in the Church of England and became a prominent and powerful voice against slavery. While Newton's words were powerful, those words were set to multiple different melodies for many years. It wasn't until 1835 that American composer William Walker assigned Newton's words to a traditional song named "New Britain", that Amazing Grace took the form it bears today.

No comments:

Post a Comment